IT companies are having a growing up chart in India, especially in recent days. The upward movement of technology, growing usage of digital transactions, and economical needs are making this growth possible and experts say that it will grow exponentially in the future too! Keeping this in mind, many youngsters and job seekers are getting attracted to the IT industry.
Let’s discuss a few points which can help moving from service company to product company.
Service-based companies and product-based companies are recruiting candidates due to this need in this growing time.
Let us see what service-based and product-based companies, are and their uses, and also let’s see which one is best to choose.
What is a Service-based company?
In short, the service-based company provides its services to its clients. Companies like TCS, Wipro, etc. are service-based companies. They work for a product-based company. Comparatively, service-based companies have lesser revenue than product-based companies.
What is a product-based company?
Product-based companies are companies that produce products for their customers. They produce products based on customers’ needs. Companies like Google, Microsoft, Intel, HP, etc. are examples of product-based companies. These companies have higher revenue compared to service-based companies.
Why a Product-based company is better than a service-based company?
It is easy to get recruited in a service-based company compared to getting recruited in a product-based company. Even though the process of recruitment in a product-based company is tough and has various stages, one could get their appointment letter if they work hard and aim constantly without losing hope. Let’s look at the uses of working for a product-based company.
- It is obvious that product-based companies have higher value and are superior to service-based companies.
- Their working environment is good for their employees.
- Employees have high salaries and hikes compared to a service-based company.
- Working hours and timing are flexible for the employees of the product-based company.
- Product-based companies provide vast knowledge for their employees.
Keeping all these benefits of product-based companies, anyone should try to get a job in these companies. For suppose, if you got recruited by a service-based company and want to switch to a product-based company, you should try it with dedication and hard work. Let’s look at the steps to get switched from a service-based company to a product-based company.
How to prepare for a product-based company?
To get recruited by product-based companies, you should prepare well for it. From preparing a resume to facing the interview, focus, hard work, and dedication should be key points. To prepare for a product-based company, one should know.
- How to prepare a proper resume?
- Steps involved to get the job
- What are the courses to learn?
- How to face the interview?
If you focus on these 4 steps and you can crack the job easily.
1. How to prepare a proper resume?
A resume plays a crucial part in getting short-listed for the technical and interview round. A resume should be written in such a way that it should attract the person who is going to shortlist you out of the n-number of candidates. The following things should be included in your resume…
- Include your education. If you got a high percentage or came in first or second place in your college, then include that too. Don’t include low CGPA.
- Mention the personal projects which you have done. You should be able to answer why did you choose those projects because there are higher chances you face this question in the interview.
- Write about your field experience in detail.
- Mention the programming languages which you have learned. Use prior, intermediate, and experienced words to display the experience level.
- Include your strengths.
- Write the achievements that are required for the job.
- Do not write unnecessary details. Try to use technical words.
- Attach links to the sites like LinkedIn profiles, GitHub profiles, etc. if you have blogs, YouTube channels, and Instagram profiles that are about your technical stuff, then include them too.
- If you have experience in the field, include the experience with the previously worked company details.
After you apply for the job with your resume, you need to face the steps involved in filtration to get to the interview.
2. Steps involved to get the job:
The following steps could be included in the screening process.
a) Shortlisting of resumes.
b) Online coding round
c) Technical interviews
d) Design round
e) Behavioural round
a) Shortlisting of resumes: So many resumes get filtered in this step. Only resumes with sufficient requirements and talents will be short-listed. So, make sure to include all your strengths and qualities along with the programming languages and projects in your resume.
b) Online coding round: This round can be included for freshers. Experienced people might be excluded in this round. However, this step completely depends on the company that you apply to! Some companies either include it or exclude it. Basic computer knowledge, coding knowledge, data structures, and algorithms would be tested in this round.
c)Technical interviews: Again, the standard and hardness of these interviews would be depended on the company. While some companies conduct only one to two rounds of interviews, some companies may conduct multiple interviews. Sometimes, along with the company’s interview, the client’s company may conduct another interview too. Whatever it is, if you prepare well about the coding and also concentrate on the details of the projects and internships you have participated in, it would be easy for you to face any interview round.
d)Design round: This round can be included only for experienced people. Questions related to system design can be asked in this round.
e) Behavioural round: Questions related to the projects, your strengths, weaknesses, learning, and leadership skills would be included in this round. Through this round, the interviewer would like to know completely about you and so the discussion will be deeper.
3. What are the courses to learn?
Basic data structures and algorithm concepts are a must for any company. Along with these, you should learn concepts like bit manipulation, dynamic programming, greedy approach, tries, etc. these concepts would help you very much if you are trying for big companies like google, amazon, HP, Microsoft, etc.
4. How to face the interview?
A simple answer to this question is- to face it with ease and confidence. It’s the main key! If the interviewer asks you for any code or bug to solve, think it out loud while solving it! In this way, the interviewer can get the way you solve the problems as well as they may guide you to solve them. It will leave a positive impression on you. Be honest and confident.
With these steps, you can get recruited by a product-based company. However, it is a bit tough to get an interview call from a product-based company. So, it’s always better if you can find a referral. It would be an additional plus point.
However, if you are going to apply through job portals, do not lose hope or think negatively, instead think positively and face every step with confidence. If you are already working in a service-based company and have experience then your experience would be a plus point.
If you get a chance to switch from a service-based company to a product-based company, then use that chance or make your way towards a product-based company by preparing a proper resume, facing the filtration process, and interviewing. Keep your ultimate target into a product-based company as it has more scope.